The final round of the Mixed Up Cocktail Competition will take place on Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at the Mid-America Restaurant Expo & Conference. Participants will compete to create a modern interpretation of a classic cocktail using five ingredients or less. The top five submissions will be invited to attend the Mid-America Restaurant Expo & Conference to compete live for a cash prize. Note: All finalists will have their cocktail made available for tasting by any attendees of the Mid-America Restaurant Expo & Conference.
Noon: Competitors Arrive for Mandatory Orientation
12:30 p.m. : Orientation Begins
1:00 p.m. : Competition Begins
2:30 p.m. : Award Ceremony
Winner receives a cash prize and bragging rights.
Registration is $50 per entry. Paid registration entitles named competitors admission to the Mid-America Restaurant Expo. Others accompanying competitors must purchase tickets at www.midamericarestaurantexpo.com.
Registration Opens on July 1, 2021.
Please contact Shoshanna Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877.265.7469 with any questions.
MIXED UP RULES
Contestants may use up to five ingredients (including garnish) to create a unique, original cocktail based on a known classic.
- Contestants may use up to five ingredients (including garnish to create a unique, original cocktail based on a known classic.
- Contestants may use one compound syrup or cordial as a single ingredient as long as they are comprised of four ingredients or less.
- Contestants will be asked to identify the known classic they are basing their cocktail on and explain how their interpretation is a fresh or modern take on the original.
- The contest will be in two rounds.
- Contestants will submit recipes for round one. Based on the description of their cocktail, the top five submissions will be chosen to move to the finals.
The top five finalists will be invited to attend the live Mixed Up competition on Tuesday, November 2. Each finalist will have 10 minutes to build and present their cocktail to the judges.
Initial submissions will be blind, and judges will use a rubric to create a fair, equitable process for moving on to the finals. The same rubric will be used during the live competition.
During the Expo, finalists will be given five minutes to set-up and build their cocktail. Judging criteria will be based on
Flavor Profile (component balance and drinkability)
Connection to Original Cocktail and Base Spirit (tells a modern story)
Creativity & Originality (appearance, name, component mix)
Speed & Ease of build
- Overnight refrigeration space is available at the convention center for contestants’ ingredients. Call 877-265-7469 for more information.
- Expo Food Fight staff has the right to inspect all coolers and products.
- All Expo Burger Battle contestants must be in compliance with Expo rules and regulations. Violators may be subject to disqualification.
- Decisions made by the Expo Burger Battle judging panel are final in all aspects of this competition.
The Expo will provide the following materials and equipment for all finalists:
Shaker tin, mixing glass, cocktail spoon, 2 oz jigger, strainer, cutting board, paring knife, small manual citrus squeezer
coup glasses, highball glasses, rocks glasses, sample cups for judges
base spirit, lemons & limes, pellet ice
bar towels, sanitizer spray, three-comp sink
NOTE: Specialty glassware, ice, or garnishes will be provided by contestant. Contestants are also responsible for bringing pre-prepped simple syrups, juices or cordials.
The competition starts here! (Registration opens July 1, 2021)